- People still think of engineering as a profession reserved only for white heterosexual men. But.... The post What is it like being LGBT in the Engineering industry? appeared first on thebigidea.
- We are excited to announce that at an awards ceremony in November,.... The post Arcadis Employee picks up Women of the Future Award appeared first on thebigidea.
- The Environment team in Arcadis had unprecedented success at this year’s Brownfield.... The post Arcadis Environment team receives 3 awards appeared first on thebigidea.
- Emma graduated with a MEng (Hons) Civil & Coastal Engineering from Plymouth.... The post Emma Herbert was selected onto the Women Engineering Society Youth board at Arcadis appeared first on thebigidea.
- In September and October 2016, Paydata collected information on a number of.... The post Paydata UK Reward Management Survey 2016 appeared first on thebigidea.
Principal Design Engineer - York job in York
Find out what it is like to work at Arcadis
Job Title - Principal Design Engineer - York
Representing approximately 16% of our global business, the railway sector is one of our core markets, a position it has held throughout our 150 year history. We pride ourselves on delivering new and exciting resolutions in general and in particular for rail infrastructure design and construction schemes from our York office.
Our Rail Team continues to add to their impressive list of project awards and recent successes have seen us secure some of the UK's highest profile, most complex and stimulating projects to complement their existing portfolio of works. These new schemes are diverse and technically challenging and include London Bridge Station Regeneration, Crossrail Western Stations, Bank Station Regeneration and Manchester Victoria. In addition we provide design and consultancy services to Southwest Trains under the 5 year Wessex delivery Framework. Owing to our increased workload we now need to grow our York office design team capability through recruitment of the highest calibre Engineers.
We have an enviable reputation for the delivery of some of the UK's most prestigious and challenging schemes and we are currently working on behalf of Network Rail, Rail Operating Companies and Contractors throughout the UK on GRIP 2 to GRIP 8 phases of major infrastructure projects, designing and engineering complex technical solutions to meet and exceed our client's needs.
We are seeking career minded and technically advanced Civil and Structural Engineers to join our existing high calibre team in the York office working on a variety of projects within the Rail sector.
To be considered for a role we are seeking candidates with the following credentials:
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- MEng / MSc Degree in Civil / Structural Engineering (ICE or IStructE accredited).
- Have achieved Chartered Professional Membership with the ICE or IStructE.
- Have a minimum of 5 years post chartered work experience in a relevant industry or sector.
- Familiarity and demonstrable experience of leading successful project delivery.
- Demonstrable experience of leading teams of engineering and of working within a multi-disciplinary project delivery team environment.
- Familiarity with British Standards & Eurocodes.
- Flexibility to travel throughout the UK and abroad when required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and experience of delivering formal presentations.
- Positive and proactive attitude and ability to lead and motivate teams.
- Contractual and commercial awareness.
- Well motivated and able to influence. Good people management and delegation skills.
- Ability to think in an innovative and entrepreneurial manner with a good understanding of the commercial aspects that affect project delivery.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Line Manager, you will provide the lead technical support role into assigned projects for the successful delivery of civil and structural engineering design projects. You will provide leadership to teams of engineers and graduate engineers and develop appropriate technical solutions and provide technical advice to resolve challenges as they arise. Working within multi-disciplinary teams consisting of Arcadis and sub-consultant specialists, you will work proactively and collaboratively in order to effectively and efficiently achieve project delivery. The role will be client facing and you will need to be comfortable working in this environment and be able to justify design solutions to clients and their specialist teams as may be necessary. We operate in a diverse marketplace and you will gain experience of working on a varied portfolio of projects which will enhance your skills and test your design and technical knowledge.
You will work in collaboration with other design disciplines and acquire knowledge and practical skills through exposure within the sector though affiliations and continued education and this will allow you to further enhance and develop your career.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Developing skills and knowledge base for yourself and members of your team.
- Lead by example and manage projects or components thereof to meet office and business targets while exceeding client expectations.
- Taking the lead role in the preparation of appropriate project related documentation.
- Maintaining the necessary level of knowledge of codes, standards, corporate policies and the like, to effectively operate as team leader and mentor.
- Overseeing the preparation and checking of drawings, technical specifications, reports and other project documentation as required in line with company and client requirements as well as relevant standards and codes.
- Leading the resolution of technical issues.
- Continually work to gain experience and proficiency in the appropriate Arcadis systems and procedures.
- Promote and market all facets of Arcadis services during interfaces with clients, other sectors/disciplines and externally at seminars and conferences.
- Becoming familiar and compliant with relevant H&S regulations and continually maintain and develop this knowledge and promote a culture of health, safety and wellbeing awareness within the team.
- Perform other duties as required from time to time by your manager or the business.
What Do We Offer?
We offer a dynamic challenging job with international focus in a pleasant working climate, attention to education and a competitive remuneration package reflecting the seniority of the role. You will have a great deal of responsibility with endless opportunity for impact and freedom for initiatives. Given the international spread of the business a certain level of flexibility in working hours is important.