- In April 2016, Atkins, as part of a joint venture with CH2M.... The post Atkins’ joint venture to deliver HS2 Phase One appeared first on thebigidea.
- Gender diversity in the workplace is the equal treatment and acceptance of.... The post Top Gender Diversity Initiatives 2016 appeared first on thebigidea.
- We, like many others joined the nation and took part in our.... The post Atkins: Its official, we’ve caught the baking bug! appeared first on thebigidea.
- Atkins gave 2 days paid leave to enable an employee to volunteer.... The post Atkins volunteers with refugees in Calais appeared first on thebigidea.
- 2016 has been a hallmark year for Rahma Farrag. The assistant engineer at.... The post Female engineer at Atkins wins multiple awards appeared first on thebigidea.
Transport Modeller (Microsimulation) job in London, Cambridge
Find out what it is like to work at Atkins
Job Title - Transport Modeller (Microsimulation)
In our Transport Modelling practice we work on the biggest transport projects around from the very beginning. Cars, trains, pedestrians, water, HS2, you name it - if it moves we'll model it to find the very best solution. We're looking at new motorways with Highways England. We're partnering with EE to transform the way the industry uses mobile phone and intelligent mobility data. And we can offer you an exciting career that offers great training and plenty of variety. So, if you're logical, inventive and as good with people as you are at solving problems, enjoy a whole new world of opportunities.
Join us in this role and you can take your transportation career so much further. We offer the opportunity to work across different disciplines, in different UK offices and even to take up international or client-based secondments. So you won't just be helping to shape the world of tomorrow, you'll be shaping your own future too. We've got a lively culture where people from a diverse range of backgrounds support and inspire each other to achieve great things. So alongside excellent rewards and benefits, you'll enjoy being part of a team that builds strong bonds both in and out of work!
A vacancy exists for a Transport Modeller to work with the Microsimulation modelling team based in London / Cambridge. We are looking for a highly capable and motivated individual with good understanding of microsimulation and/or local junction modelling. The role will involve working on a range of transport modelling projects as part of a team of consultants with a focus on London-based clients and projects. It is expected that the individual will also work on a range of transport modelling projects outside London.
The position will be based in London or Cambridge although it is expected that there may be the opportunity for regular travel to other Atkins offices.
- Degree in relevant subject.
- Some awareness of or previous experience in one or more of the following software packages for building models or scheme assessment: VISSIM microsimulation, TRANSYT/TranEd or LINSIG.
- Understanding of traffic engineering and appreciation of the relationship with transport modelling.
- Enthusiasm to further develop transport modelling skills with particular focus on microsimulation using VISSIM.
- Experience in other modelling softwares such as Arcady, Paramics, Picady, Saturn or VISUM
- Experience of managing self-delivery of tasks to time and budgetary constraints and contributing to client meetings.
- Experience in preparing transport models in line with industry standards/best practice such as TfL Modelling Guidelines.
- Appreciation of UTC/SCOOT and/or signal control methods.
- Experience of writing technical notes and reports for presentation to clients.
- Experience in conducting technical quality audits of models.
- Experience of programming capabilities including Visual Basic and other software packages appropriate for use with computer based transport models.
As a key member of the microsimulation team, you will work on a variety of modelling projects for a wide selection of key clients. You will be responsible for:
- Technical delivery of project tasks where the development and application of transport models is required. This includes direct liaison with internal and external clients and contributing to the overall team success.
- Management of own workload to time and quality parameters including identification and use of resources from other Atkins offices.
- Adherence to the Atkins BMS processes in the delivery of projects ensuring the adoption of modelling and appraisal best practice in project delivery.
- Assist in business development activity and the preparation of bids and fee proposals.
The successful candidate will need to be:
- Highly self-motivated and ambitious for continued professional development.
- Driven to deliver technical excellence within demanding commercial and financial constraints.
- Able to work within a small team of specialists as well as a larger project team building strong working relationships with colleagues and clients alike.
- Comfortable in working 'at distance' from project teams including overseas.
- Prepared to work from time to time in other Atkins offices.
- Proven ability to learn new software and analytical techniques rapidly becoming competent to a high degree of autonomy.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers' expectations.