Head - Antibody Pharmacology job in Hertfordshire
Find out what it is like to work at GlaxoSmithKline
Job Title - Head - Antibody Pharmacology
• BSc and PhD in life sciences or a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience
• Deep expertise in biopharm drug discovery
• Outstanding leadership track record
• Disease area experience
Provide strategic vision and leadership for the Antibody Pharmacology team, and drive innovation to accelerate the discovery of transformational biopharm medicines
Through partnering and internal investment, GSK has rapidly grown its capabilities in biopharmaceuticals, developing an exciting pipeline of projects from early discovery to late stage development and launch. Our newest biopharm product, Nucala, an antibody therapy for severe asthma, adds to a growing line-up. Biopharm Molecular Discovery (BPMD) is at the heart of GSK's ambition to deliver life-changing antibody medicines to patients. Working in partnership with all of GSK's Therapeutic Area Units, BPMD provides cutting edge technology and expertise to design, discover and optimise the molecules that will become biopharm medicines of the future. As part of GSK's growth trajectory in biopharm, we have invested to gain access to the latest discovery technology, including phage, yeast and transgenic mouse antibody systems.
The Antibody Pharmacology team within BPMD is responsible for generating the critical functional and mechanistic data required to design and select molecules with the right properties to become the life-changing biopharm medicines of the future. The team designs, develops and executes biological assays to profile compounds in GSK's biopharm discovery pipeline. Comprising a group of ~25 highly skilled scientists, the Antibody Pharmacology team has a broad skill base including immunology, cell biology, antibody receptor biology, flow cytometry and plate-based assay systems. It works extensively in collaboration across GSK R&D and with leading biotech companies and academic groups to deliver on its mission.
What we're looking for ...
The Head of Antibody Pharmacology reports to the Vice President of Biopharm Molecular Discovery and will sit on the BPMD leadership team. They will play a key role in setting the vision and direction for the future of biopharmaceutical discovery at GSK.
An outstanding leader with deep expertise in compound profiling and mechanistic biology within the drug discovery process, the successful candidate will have a proven track record in motivating teams to perform at the top of their potential. Experience in disease areas including oncology, immune-inflammation, respiratory or infectious diseases would be advantageous. The ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams and to forge effective business relationships with academic, pharma and biotech partners is essential. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to inspire and motivate scientific teams are also key requirements for the role.
Key Responsibilities ...
• Providing strategic vision and leadership for the Antibody Pharmacology team within Biopharm Molecular Discovery (BPMD), responsible for delivering critical functional and mechanistic profiling data for GSK's large molecule discovery pipeline, including:
o Assay design, development and execution
o Functional and mechanistic compound profiling
o Immune engagement and cellular biology
• Responsible as part of the BPMD leadership
team for shaping the future of GSK's biopharm discovery platform capabilities and delivering a pipeline of life-changing biopharm medicines into clinical development
• Maintaining effective partnerships with GSK's Therapeutic Areas (TAs) to identify and prosecute new opportunities for biopharm medicines
• External landscape awareness, and proactive engagement to forge external partnerships to extend and augment internal capabilities
Essential skills & capabilities ...
• Outstanding leadership track record; capable of providing the insight and judgement to help shape GSK's biopharm discovery platform for the future
• Ability to provide a compelling vision to inspire and motivate a team
• Proven ability to lead and drive change
• Deep expertise in drug discovery. Proven expertise in developing and executing functional and mechanistic profiling assays to generate high quality decision making data.
• Developing people - able to nurture and develop talent to allow a team to realise full potential
Closing date for applications: 1st Feb 2017
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to clearly describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
If requiring an adjustment for a disability, once selected for interview you may contact email@example.com
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.